Important information for participants in the ecosocialist meeting in Paris in October. This Update includes the location of the event and a Provisional Agenda, as well as information that was previously posted.
Purpose: This meeting is a very preliminary first step: we will get to know each other, establish a provisional organizing committee for an Ecosocialist International Network, and begin discussions of projects and activities. Our main goal will be to set a time, place and preliminary agenda for a larger meeting in 2008, at which we hope there will be broad participation from green-left activists around the world.
It will not be an educational event or an academic conference. It is an organizing meeting for people who want to improve communication and coordination among ecosocialist activists around the world.
Dates: Please Note: To ensure that there is sufficient time for discussion and networking, we have arranged for the meeting to carry over to a second day.
The meeting will be held during the day on Sunday October 7, 2007, and in the morning of Monday October 8, 2007. We plan to begin at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday.
Place: The meeting will convene Sunday morning in salle Franklin, 60 rue Franklin, Métro mairie de Montreuil. (That’s the Town Hall of Montreuil, which is on the eastern edge of Paris.)
The Monday morning session will be held in the National Assembly building in Paris.
Agenda: The following is a provisional agenda, subject to amendment by the participants:
- Introduction and Welcome by members of the Convening Committee.
- Self-introduction of participants.
- Discussion of common initiatives for the coming year, including communications, creation of a multilingual ecosocialist website, use of existing journals, etc.
- Discussion of a Second Ecosocialist Manifesto. Selection of a subcommittee to write a draft for international circulation and discussion.
- Discussion of objectives, date and location for a larger Ecosocialist conference in 2008.
- Election of a coordinating secretariat whose main task will be to organize the next Conference.
Who Can Attend: The meeting is open to anyone who wants to contribute to the work of improving communication and coordination among ecosocialist activists around the world. If you plan to attend, please let us know as soon as possible. Email ecosocialism[at]gmail[dot]com
Fees: There is no registration or admission fee. We may ask for voluntary contributions to defray some costs.
Expenses: Participants are responsible for all of their own expenses, including travel, accommodations, refreshments and meals.
Accommodation: We cannot recommend or endorse any particular hotels, but these hotels have been suggested as a guide:
- One Star: 37 euros without wc, 59 euros with wc. Hotel des Alliés. 20 rue Berthollet, 75005 Paris. tel. 00 331 4331 47 52. e-mail email@example.com. Web: http://www.sequanahotels.com/
- Two Stars: 69 euros with wc Hotel Sunny. 48 Bd. Port-Royal, 75013 Paris. tel. 00331 4331 7986. e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Three Stars: 230 euros Hotel Serotel. 2, rue Berthollet, 75005 Paris. tel. 00 331 4336 2630. e-mail email@example.com
Related Event: This meeting follows the International Marx Congress, October 3-6. For more information, go to http://netx.u-paris10.fr/actuelmarx/cm5/index5.htm